In this digital world, search engine optimization (SEO) has become the most popular and highly searchable topic on the World Wide Web. Today every service provider who has the awareness about the SEO has registered its business identity online through websites, mobile apps and using other online ways to interact with the customers and make their business available on the first page in the search results of the search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) itself is a very vast field, and it is further divided into two parts – ON page SEO and OFF page SEO. These both parts of SEO have their importance, and I have focused here on the latest ON page SEO factors which provide a better result and help you to get rank higher in your category.
- URL Structure – To make your website URLs search engine friendly, take care of some important points such as:
- Avoid these special characters such as “&,” “?”,”!”…etc. Sometimes these are necessary but try to avoid them as much as possible.
- Give preference to hyphens (-) instead of underscore (_) between words to improve URL readability.
- Use your targeted keywords in URLs to make them more understandable.
- Try to avoid capital letters in URLs because Windows servers are case sensitive.
- Try to keep URLs length as small as possible.
2. Image Optimization – Images are an essential part of a web page because a single image equals to 100 of words and it describes what the whole page is about. So image optimization is another important On page factor. So you need to focus on some points while using images on your website:
- Use image size as small as possible because it matters in page load time factor.
- Use your targeted keywords in the image file names instead of image1,img1.
- Include your targeted keywords in alt tag attribute of the image instead of leaving it blank.
- Use your targeted keywords in the image caption.
3. Content Optimization – Content is another critical part on a web page and to get a better position in SERP, so you need to optimize as per search engine guidelines.
- Make web content updated and unique
- Use your targeted keywords in web content not in the manner of keywords stuffing.
- Keep your primary keywords in the first paragraph.
- Make proper use of heading tags H1, H2, H3…H6 in web content.
- Keep your content above the scroll area of your web page instead of large size images.
4. Meta Tags – Meta tags are the most critical part on the web page because these tags are visible tags on search engines and play an important role to get higher rank in SERP. So take care of below mention points while optimizing meta tags:
- Keep your Meta tags length as per search engine standards means for title tags – 60 characters, for description tags – 160 characters. Because only these standard length of Meta tags are visible in SERP.
- Use your targeted keywords in Meta tags in the very beginning instead of other words.
- Avoid keywords stuffing while writing Meta tags.
- Make Meta tags more understandable and unique.
5. Site Map – Site map is also a significant on-page SEO factor from search engine and user’s point of view. A site map is of two types – XML sitemap or HTML site map.
- An XML Site map is a collection of whole website pages, and it helps to search engine to index your website pages.
- An HTML Site map is a graphical representation of your whole website pages, and from this, through a single web page, anyone can navigate the entire website.
To index your whole website as soon as possible you have to create an XML site map and submit it on all primary search engines webmaster tools.